Friday, July 16, 2010

Walk the walk

Few days back when I was at Pakistan Institute of Fashion and Design, the nuance of dresses worn by the students kinda made me think about why the hell why our University is so rigid about dress code? I mean, if you ask them, they would come with several arguments, for instance, it would prepare us( students) for the world to come! For instance, as a student of Business I am being trained for how to dress like an executive? a service provided by the university pro bono! Does that then imply all the top universities in the world such as Yale and Princeton are doing a bad job, when it comes to training their students for the world to come! While the Formanites take the Executive world by storm, students of top universities sit unemployed! Quite a revelation, a little hard to digest... or maybe I just need to cut down on the liquor; that I haven’t ever had.
So it can’t possibly be for the preparation of the world ahead…what’s wrong with a pair of ragged jeans and a T-shirt, and what’s so special about a necktie and formal full sleeved shirt? Could it be the colonial mentally? Or am I being just cynical? I mean, the administration is American! Freedom of thought and choice…they can’t possibly be against it…or are they? And to top it all off, students are treated like some escapee from Guantanamo bay for not adhering to the dress code. The constant badgering and harassing of proctors is a complete nuisance and that’s not all they(students) are insulted and fined for wearing casual attire. That makes me wonder what century are we living in? One can also give the University the benefit of doubt that it’s new and trying out new things but I think it’s been long enough, it’s high time when it loosen up a little and cut the Imperial and colonial crap a aside, if it really wants to move on to something that’s more progressive and current.

No comments:

Post a Comment